Sunday, November 10, 2013

Zainal Abidin Hj Ibrahim Brunei's Batik Designer

"My main interest in doing this kind of business, is not just to survive, but to give contribution to the people and society on what I'm doing" -Zainal Abidin Hj Ibrahim
Zainal Abidin Hj Ibrahim is the sole proprietor of the batik desamas and one of the leap grant receiver who has given the opportunity to expand his business from BEDB (Brunei Economic Development Board).
Mr Zainal Abidin Brunei's Batik Designer
Zainal Abidin Hj Ibrahim Brunei's Batik Designer
He was a teacher, an artist, a graphic designer before when he started doing the batik business. Fueled by the love and motivation of his family and friends, he started doing batik in the year 2000.
How do you describe your background?
I worked in an advertising company before. I am an artist, I do teachings in school. I worked also in Kuala Lumpur before as a Graphic Designer.
What made you decide to do batik as a business?
The basic thing about batik is I learned it from my own, well it's also because of my background as an artist and designer I guess, that is why when my friends saw some batik designs in Malaysia and Indonesia, they asked me to do batik here in Brunei, but it's not that easy, because you need to consider a lot of things, until I met one guy who are looking for a designer who can do batik, and I am then looking for a team, and then we merged, that was how we started
Mr Zainal Abidin Brunei's Batik Designer
Zainal Abidin Hj Ibrahim Brunei's Batik Designer
Who motivated you to do the business? Or do you have any mentors?
My friends, they helped me to remain still on what I am doing, and of course through the motivation and love of my family.
What were the major challenges that you face in the process of starting up your business?
During the time I started, the biggest challenge then was my financial resources; I almost give up doing the business, but my friends helped me to come back, they gave me money to start again the business. And that is what keeps me moving until now.
One of the challenges I am currently facing right now is on the marketing side, how we promote and market our products.
Brunei Batik
Brunei Batik
How do you describe the support from your family?
My family doesn't rely on my income; they are the one who's supporting me.
How do you promote your business?
Currently we are using word of mouth to promote our products, also conducting demonstration to various institutional organization and by attending exhibitions. Promoting product on big scale need some solid planning and teamwork, and I am working to build a team to come together on common vision.
Where do you see your business in the next 5 years?
Batik is my expertise, so definitely my vision is to bring Brunei's Batik to international market. I am planning foreign collaboration to set up production units. International batik textile is my vision for next 5 years time.
Brunei Batik
Brunei Batik

Brunei Batik
Brunei Batik
Whom you will crown the success of your vision?
It will always be the teamwork, because I cannot work alone, I cannot stand alone, there will always be people right behind you who will support you whatever you do.
Do you have any competitor here in Brunei doing the same thing?
Yes. There are also other people here in Brunei doing and designing batik. But still, I don't see anything wrong about that. For me, there is no competition here, because I would like to see more creative people who can do and design batik as well.
Mr Zainal Abidin Painting
Zainal Abidin Hj Ibrahim Painting

Mr Zainal Abidin Painting
Zainal Abidin Hj Ibrahim Painting

Mr Zainal Abidin Painting
Zainal Abidin Hj Ibrahim Painting
What kind of advice would you like to give to the society and to the new entrepreneurs who wants to start their own business?
First, I would like to encourage more of the Bruneian to support the batik productions here in Brunei. I would like them to support and market our own local product. And also, I would like to see more batik designers and batik industry here in Brunei. That is actually my vision, that is my I am really trying my very best to teach others so that at least they can understand what is batik. And to the new entrepreneurs, I want them to create something that will give us our own identity, something that is really for Bruneian.
Every entrepreneur has a story to tell, there are stories of both success and failures, stories of how you deal with and overcome all the challenges in life just to be able to reach your goal and vision for the business.
Indeed, Mr. Zainal Abidin has really come very far in his passion for batik business.. In spite of all his hardships in keeping his business grow, he managed and remained still in designing batik
He always make it a point that all his work come from his heart, from his desire to inspire and motivate others.
It's not basically how successful you are right now, it's about how you inspire and motivate other people towards reaching their dreams.
Brunei Batik
Brunei Batik

Brunei Batik
Brunei Batik

Brunei Batik
Brunei Batik

Brunei Batik
Brunei Batik
source :
http://www.brudirect.com/world/sme-s-corner/10238-brunei-s-batik-designer-mr-zainal-abidin

No comments:

Post a Comment